For those who are new to the blog, Ayla's Stocking is a service project I started in 2013 as a way to cope with the loss of my beautiful daughter Ayla. Three years ago my life changed when Ayla became sick just after Christmas and later passed away. I was so lucky that I was able to have one Christmas with her and in the many hours of down time I had, I would walk the ICU...there were so many families in there that didn't have that luxury of spending Christmas at home with a healthy child. And my heart broke for them.
The next season in contemplating how I would be able to still feel like I was a mother without being able to see the joy on Ayla's face Christmas morning I came up with an idea. One that has blossomed and became the highlight of my Christmas season.
The idea was this; that over the course of November and December I would collect toys and small gifts then just before Christmas I would take them to the Rotary Flames House (the children's hospice) to be distributed among those who truly needed them.
Last year with the amount of toys we collected the hospice was able to set up a 'Santa's Workshop'. Children and parents in the house had the opportunity to come to the teen room and "shop" for gifts for their families. I know that even something as small as a teddy bear can make Christmas a little more bearable when you are faced with unforeseen circumstances.
This year will be a little bit different in that I don't have an official sponsor to head the project. But I think it will be just as wonderful as always. This year I have asked a couple people to head the project in Calgary. My cousin Katie and her husband Josh over the past few months have shared many experiences they have had with their oldest son and his bond to my daughter. Even though they only met her once their son still talks about her and refers to me as Ayla's mom. The joy that title brings me is indescribable and I am thrilled to share this experience with them. I also have a wonderful friend named Patricia that helped me last year down here so this year as she's up in Calgary she has agreed to help out again. I lived with Patricia for a year and a half and she became one of my best friends.
This year you can contact Katie, Paticia, or I for information on how to be part of Ayla's Stocking. Donations will be accepted from now until noon on December 11th.
Here is a refresher on some of the things you can give;
- Infant rattles, rings, teether type toys
- Gift cards that can be given to families (Toys R Us, Walmart, Tim Horton's...)
- Pajamas of varying sizes
- Craft kits (with supplies all enclosed) or small boxes of pencil crayons, crayons, markers, etc.
- Musical toys (anything that plays sounds or music, push button toys...)
- Slippers (children and adults)
- One-size fits all stretchy gloves
- Toques and winter hats
- Books (mostly infant and teen books)
-Board games (for any age)
-Sensory games (for any age)
-Teen items (nail polish, journals, hair accessories, ect.)
-Board games (for any age)
-Sensory games (for any age)
-Teen items (nail polish, journals, hair accessories, ect.)
These are just some ideas, if you have ones of your own then by all means go for it.
I would like to thank everyone for the love and kindness I have been shown over the past three years. I know it may seem small but each of you have not only helped me, but you are now helping families who may be feeling anything but happy this Christmas season. For that I can never thank you enough!
Even if you don't donate to Ayla's Stocking I would encourage you to look around you and find someone to serve :)
Serving truly does heal the soul.
No comments:
Post a Comment