10.22.2020

Covid Ayla's Stocking




This year has been so strange, looking back it's hard to believe that from March until now we have lived in a state of fear from a pandemic that swept the nation so fast. It’s been extremely stressful and in thinking about what Ayla’s Stocking would look like this year, I wondered if it would even be possible, so when someone I know from church reached out I knew it was a sign that despite everything going on, I need to still run it. I contacted the person who I know from my days at the hospice and asked her if it was something I could still do, because for me it would be heartbreaking to not be able to help this year. She said with some boundaries in place it was still possible. 

Having Felix in my life makes me appreciate how lucky I truly am, he’s been well taken care of and even though I have monthly appointments, he’s thriving. Not all parents are so lucky. Even if the world has shut down, there are still families that are suffering and maybe even more so than ever before. The hospital implemented a rule shortly after covid broke out that only one parent is allowed in the hospital at a time, and no siblings what so ever. Can you imagine how isolating that would be? Not only is your child ill, but you have to sit there alone with them. I know that when I was in the hospital alone with Felix that it was hard, especially when I received his official diagnosis I was alone in the room at the time. It was one of the more difficult times of my life. 

It seems like so much time has passed but at the same time, no time at all. Being at the hospital monthly has given me even more empathy for those who have medically fragile children. I see the families that go in there and I see the look of exhaustion in the parent's eyes. Sometimes I even see someone in the parking lot eating in their car because the other parent is inside with their child. I have so much respect for those who are there all day every day. 

With Ayla and now with Felix I know that I can't take anything for granted. Life is so precious and every moment matters. Having the strength to move forward takes incredible faith and I hope that especially this year, riddled with fear and loneliness, that the people in the hospice, as well as the hospital know that they will never be alone. There is always someone who cares and who wishes they could just wrap their arms around them allowing them to let go of all the built up stress. 

My hope is that this year we can give even more. Not that people don't need to know they are loved before, but this year has been so hard on so many. I just hope that these gifts will allow them to feel a giant hug around them when this virus prevents even the most natural of instincts. 

This year because I go to the children's hospital every month anyway I decided to combine the two, so I will be collecting things until December 1st. As always there a few ways you can contribute; if you are in the Calgary region you can contact me personally. My parents house is also a drop off location if you live closer to them. You can also contact me via email (julie.branton6@gmail.com), phone, text, Facebook, or Instagram for more information.

Here is a refresher on some of the things you can give;
       - Infant rattles, rings, teether type toys
       - Gift cards that can be given to families (Toys R Us, Walmart, Tim Horton's...)
       - Pajamas of varying sizes
       - Craft kits (with supplies all enclosed) or small boxes of pencil crayons, crayons, markers, etc.
       - Musical toys (anything that plays sounds or music, push button toys...)
       - Slippers (children and adults)
       - One-size fits all stretchy gloves
       - Toques and winter hats
       - Books (mostly infant and teen books)
       - Board games (for any age)
       - Sensory games (for any age)
       - Teen items (nail polish, journals, hair accessories, etc.)

These are just some ideas, if you have ones of your own then by all means go for it.

This year it is my hope that we can give what we can and make sure the end of this very odd year can be a good one for these families. 


No comments:

Post a Comment