This weekend was fantastic!! On top of not having to work on Saturday (which NEVER happens) I got to attend a question/answer period with Elder Bednar. Now unlike some cousins who attend BYU Provo and probably see General Authorities all the time, it's not very often that we get one here so it was a rare opportunity that I was happy to experience. This meeting was special in that instead of the usual, he talks, we take notes thing he said that for two hours we could ask any question we wanted and he would give us just enough of an answer to get started, but he would let us figure out the rest. The questions that came from this were amazing and the answers were so simple yet powerful that it was like we could've figured them out for ourselves.
One of the things I liked was how he told everyone that asked a question to go buy a paper back copy of the Book Of Mormon and highlight EVERYTHING that had to do with the question, and after we finshed go back and re-read what we highlighted then write a one page summary of all that we learned. I found that a great way to study the scriptures, it never occured to me to buy a new copy of the Book Of Mormon everytime I want to find an answer, it's something that I will try and hopefully it will be more effective then how I study now.
Some other things I learned were:
-the way to revelation will always be preapred, but rarely in the way you want it
-even Nephi didn't get the plates on the first try, sometimes we have to fail a few times in order to succeed
-deserment means to see the good in others and help them to see it for themselves
-when you turn to the Lord in prayer don't ask for something as if you're ordering at a fast food resturant, and don't expect the answer right away
-the Lord will direct your steps and you won't know why, but in the end you'll find yourself exactly where you were meant to be
-even if you've been forgiven some concequences remain, it makes us into the person we are today and who we will become in the future
-we are a jar of black sand and everytime we do something right we drop a grain of white sand in and one grain of black comes out, soon all you'll be left with is white sand but it takes time
Those were only some of the things that were said and these aren't exact quotes but rather my interpretation. Everyone in the meeting felt something powerful, and it will change our whole outlook on life. The most powerful thing was Elder Bednar's testimony...I can't express in words what I felt in that chapel as he said "I know God lives" listening to an Apostle of the Lord say that was beyond description. It made me a stronger person and reminded me that even when I feel alone and like no one cares, there is one person that will always be there.
After the meeting all anyone wanted to do was to go home and read their scriptures, like my friend said, it was like a spiritual punch to the face. I am so glad that I was able to experience this and now I can't wait for conference in three weeks!!!
That sounds like such a cool experience! Thank you for sharing your notes. =)
ReplyDelete