12.23.2013

Delivering Ayla's Stocking

I tried writing this post many times and it never seems to come out just right. But I feel like with Christmas fast approaching I need to write my feelings while they are still fresh. So here it goes :)

I went up to Calgary this past weekend to deliver most of the gifts that were given for Ayla's stocking (I have a few items that I'll be delivering later on). How can I describe in words the overwhelming response I received. I was so humbled at how everyone banded together to make a difference in the lives of so many. 

In all I think we had close to $1,000 in gifts and almost $1,000 in gift cards. Not to mention the home knit toques and mittens! It was such a wonderful sight for me and having lived the life of those parents for a short time last and this year I understand how much it means to see that people care. 

I had the opportunity to give two gifts in person to children with handicaps. I am pretty good at keeping emotions in check around others, but a boy made me tear up with joy. The nurse told him that I had brought a gift for him, as soon as she showed him the truck his face just lit up and he started giggling. He was so excited to have the truck that I couldn't even take it to take a picture with the nurses and my family. 



For me this is what Christmas means. It's about the joy of uplifting others. If that's all I received for Christmas, that would be enough. :)






1 comment:

  1. Julie, this is such a wonderful way of honoring Ayla's life and getting through what must be a difficult time for you. I admire you for turning outward to serve others as a way of dealing with and processing your own grief. It's truly a Christ-centered approach, and I love you for it.

    I've been thinking about you more than usually lately and am praying for you--I love you!

    ReplyDelete