Hi Julie,
I can definitely share some tidbits with you! I was not here for the actual Christmas Day but I was a part of much of the wrapping and choosing gifts process, and I got some info from the nurses who were here that day. We had 4 children admitted here that day, 2 with family staying and 2 without family staying. We closed down the teen room and made it into a “Santa’s Workshop” and had all the donation in there, kind of like a toy store. For the families who were in house, we asked parents if they wanted to come shop for gifts in the donation room (which they did! And were thrilled to be able to). We even had one patient who came with his parents into the workshop room to choose gifts for his brothers and sisters. It was very sweet of him, and there was no way he would have been able to go to the mall or a store to shop for them so definitely a great help for the family.
On Christmas eve, a volunteer and I spent some time wrapping gifts for patients, siblings, and parents who would be waking up in the house on Christmas day. For one family in particular, who had made their own Christmas tree in the their room and decorated everything, we wrapped up some of the gift cards and hung them on the tree in the room (the nurses snuck in to do this while everyone was sleeping) and they were very surprised by this in the morning! Lots of thanks and smiles from them!
All in all it was very successful and we still have stuff left over that we can continue to give away and use over the next few months. Thank you so much for your support and the families all shared their gratitude and thanks as well!
Take care,
Shannon Murch, CCLS
Child Life Specialist
Rotary Flames House
This brought me to tears. I have said this so many times but I am so grateful to all who have helped in one way or another. I know that Ayla could not be saved but knowing that she will always be remembered like this is wonderful. I could not have done this without any of you and I hope you realize how much of an impact you have on not only my life but countless others.
Reading these stories help me to recognize that behind all the gifts are real people. The boy who was able to 'shop' for gifts that he otherwise would not have the opportunity to do in his current state is remarkable. I can't help but wonder if this would be his last Christmas with his family. And being able to provide him with even a bit of holiday spirit makes my heart melt.
Again I am humbled at the kindness of others! I truly do have the best people surrounding me :) life couldn't be better.

No comments:
Post a Comment