Naturally I really enjoyed reading and following what each person on my social media page was doing, particularly with their children. It seemed everywhere I looked people were lifting others up. I know very well how much one person can do. Even if they feel that their efforts are inadequate.
I learned a great deal during my days spent in the Children's Hospital and one was that it is okay to ask for help. And to graciously accept it when given; Ayla's Stocking has shown me that this year once again. I had no clue how many happy tears were heading my way.
Every year it’s been growing and this year I was able to partner with the website justserve.ca to collect donations in Calgary. At home I had sent out my regular fliers in the middle of November and out of nowhere it seemed, I began to receive donations. Some even dropped off anonymously--next year I will catch you and be able to thank you in person!
Over the next month my home began to fill with gifts for the children and they continually grew in number. It always amazes me how much people, if given the opportunity, give to others. It got to the point that we knew that our car was not large enough to transport the gifts to Calgary so we had to rent a SUV to accommodate them. We filled the entire trunk and we hadn't even picked up the gifts from Calgary yet! I don't know what I was expecting but when I arrived at my aunt and uncle's place to gather the toys that had been dropped off there I saw an equal (if not more) amount than we had at my home. There were two wards in Calgary that had kindly donated quite a few items as part of their ward Christmas party festivities. With both places collected we filled the trunks of the SUV, my uncle's van, plus about $700 in gift cards.
You have no idea what that means to me. To see all those toys and knowing that the kids in the hospital will not only be receiving those gifts, but be able to shop for gifts for their own families, fills my soul with unimaginable joy. As a person who has been on the receiving end of kindness I can attest that it means more then you can imagine.
If I could thank each and every one of you in person I would. My life was drastically changed this day four years ago and I didn't know how I could ever feel joy again. There has not been one day that has gone by that I don't think about my sweet Ayla Carol Jacquline and everything she taught me about unconditional love, patience, and sacrifice. But, despite thinking my life would never feel full again I have found it has turned out more amazing then I could have ever imagined! Every single one of you has touched my life and helped me to see the good in the world. For that, I will never thank you enough.
I'm always sad to wrap up Ayla's Stocking but I can't wait to see what is in store for next year!
No comments:
Post a Comment