8.10.2014

Especially For Youth 2014

There is so much to say about my week and I have been struggling to find the words. I learned far more from the kids then I could've ever learned on my own. I was truly humbled at the trials the kids face as well as their strength at facing them. Going in I was terrified, I deal with small children...not small adults and trying to figure out a way to open my soul so completely was difficult. I found that I have some walls up and allowing people in is hard for me, harder then I thought it would be. But I found that the kids and my co-councelor Tyler helped me to feel comfortable enough to open up.

As soon as I got the list of girls, and later met with Tyler to review the boys, I had so much love for them. I felt God's love for them and knew that he was intrusting me with his beautiful daughters and sons. I was truly humbled. Throughout the week I grew close to them and knew they have far greater potential then they can imagine and they are a mighty force. It wasn't until Thursday that I heard more deep stories and heard their personal trials. It is so heartbreaking to know what they face everyday but I know they are strong and they can do this. I keep saying this but they are truly amazing :).

I watched them grow in th gospel and grow closer to each other. There is nothing in the world that made me more proud. It was funny that every time Tyler or I called them friends they would yell back "FAMILY!" and they were right, we are a family and I love each of them like they are my brothers and sisters. They taught me so much and it was a privilege to be able to learn from them. I don't know if they will ever understand how much they did for me and the confidence they gave me to know that I can be a good teacher and maybe I can be a good mother to teenagers someday. I still have learning to do but I'm getting there.

This week I learned how to teach, and share my testimony while having fun. I went as a participant for five years. But being a councelor is a whole different experience, as a participant you get engulfed in the spirit and there really isn't much to have to do but show up and let the spirit teach you. But as a councelor I was the one preparing the lessons and I found that no matter how much I prepared I never really said everything I had planned to. I think it's much like a mission, you learn to rely on the spirit and only then will you say the things that you were suppose to, it was amazing to be able to experience that. Through the week I learned how to draw close to God and realized that he really does tell you what to say and when to say it to best teach a concept. It's amazing.

I had a lot of fun too. EFY is great for that, combining the spirit with fun. I don't know if I have laughed that much in a long time :P. There was everything from games to killing each other everywhere and anywhere, to a cupcake war...that was fun but ended in a few stains...oops. I had fun watching the young men and woman bond throughout the week. I really couldn't help but love them all. It's amazing to me that EFY can bring together such different personalities and people then by the end of the week everyone is so close. Our song for the week was Lean on Me and I found that perfectly fitting, we all at one time or another need someone to lean on and it was great that we learned to trust and lean on each other. I even leaned on their strength. It was great to be able to experience the Christ-like love that comes when you draw closer to others.

I love this program so much and I was so honored to be among the people there. I also need to mention my amazing co-councelor. He was laid back and picked up the slack when need be, he was exactly what the kids and I needed and I was so grateful for everything he did. My week would not have been the same without him :).

I had an amazing experience and was so glad to be there. I know that EFY is an inspired program and I loved every minute of it. Now that it's over I need to settle back into real life :P. But at least I have a few new friends to share it with!

 

1 comment: