11.01.2024

Ayla's Stocking: Illness Can Strike, But there is Hope

This last year has held so many changes in our home. Melissa is in University and moved away for the summer, gaining new independence when she came home, Kaylee is getting closer to graduating high school, and little Felix has started preschool leaving me with more time to reflect. Recently Felix has been asking more about death and often in his prayers either asks for a baby to play with, or asking why the doctors didn't save Ayla and even more heartbreaking; if they couldn't keep her alive, how can they keep him (who has a genetic condition that requires constant monitoring by a team of doctors) from also dying? My mama heart breaks every time my small child vocalizes the harsh realities that illness strikes anytime. 

The only thing I can think to say in these moments is that there were so many people who were there for me during that time. There were tender mercies that looking back I saw, and that even though my child didn't survive there are people that still work tirelessly to ensure not all children suffer that fate. As the holidays approach I am so grateful that Felix has already learned that collecting toys for Ayla's Stocking helps serve those who are sad. We got our first load already and he took out each toy and told me "this will make a little boy (girl) so happy" and that's exactly why I do this; for one singular moment I can make someone smile.

I know I can't help every child. I also can't prevent heartache as the families buckle under the weight of circumstances, what I can do is continue to take toys and gift cards year after year so that I can make sure someone feels loved and maybe even hopeful for the future. 

As a reminder here are some things you can donate. 

       - Infant rattles, rings, teether type toys
       - Gift cards that can be given to families (Toys R Us, Walmart, Tim Horton's...)
       - Pajamas of varying sizes
       - Craft kits (with supplies all enclosed) or small boxes of pencil crayons, crayons, markers, etc.
       - Musical toys (anything that plays sounds or music, push button toys...)
       - Slippers (children and adults)
       - One-size fits all stretchy gloves
       - Toques and winter hats
       - Books (mostly infant and teen books)
       - Board games (for any age)
       - Sensory games (for any age)
       - Teen items (nail polish, journals, hair accessories, etc.)
These are just some ideas, if you have ones of your own then by all means go for it.

This year I plan to deliver on December 17th. I know it's early, but please take time to reflect on all you are blessed with this year snd find ways to look outward. I love you all!

Merry Christmas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment