Last Christmas was wonderful, probably the best I ever had! This was due to my beautiful daughter teaching me the true spirit of Christmas. I found joy not so much in the gifts I received, but in picking out small gifts for my little Ayla. She was happy and such a joy to have.
I will forever be grateful for my one and only Christmas with Ayla. But as you know shortly after that beautiful day, she got very ill and later passed. Being in the hospital during the most joyous time of the year, and realizing that for so many families Christmas was anything but joyous made me grateful for what I had been blessed with.
Next door to Ayla in the ICU there was a cute curly haired boy who had a Christmas tree up in his room. By the look of it he had been there for many months. I cannot even imagine spending Christmas in the ICU. I tear up thinking about the pain these people endure.
When I later was in the hospice waiting for Ayla to die I met one family that looked so sad. They looked so drained. I probably did too, but it was if they had no hope left. It was heartbreaking. Their child died not long after we arrived.
So between these and other experiences I had I decided that I wanted to give to those who are suffering, who may never have a normal Christmas with their child. So in thinking and pondering over this for the past couple months I came up with a small idea, one that I hope will spread and lift the spirits, even for a moment, of these families.
So I decided to call the project Ayla's Stocking. I am going to fill the stocking that I made for Ayla last year with little stocking stuffers and small gifts, then two weeks or so before Christmas I am going to deliver it to the hospice and hospital, where they will distribute the gifts to families that are there for the holidays. My goal is to let these people know that there are people who both care, and understand their pain. I want them to feel that they are not alone.
Now for the fun part, I think it would be amazing if I can get as many people involved as possible. I would like anyone who is willing to also participate! I am putting up a stocking at work and asking for donations from families there through the month of November until the beginning of December and I will also allow people to drop off or mail some things directly to my parents house up until December 13 (this should give you plenty of time).
I talked to Megan Miller, a social worker that I got to know at the hospice and she gave me some ideas of things that could be given:
- Infant rattles, rings, teether type toys
- Gift cards that can be given to families (toys r us, wal mart, tim hortons...)
- Pyjamas of varying sizes
- Craft kits (with supplies all enclosed) or small boxes of pencil crayons, crayons, markers, etc.
- Musical toys (anything that plays sounds or music, push button toys...)
- Slippers (children and adults)
- One-size fits all stretchy gloves
- Toques and winter hats
- Books (mostly infant and teen books)
These are just some ideas, if you have ones of your own then by all means go for it.
If you would like to participate you can either send me a message via Facebook or leave your email in a comment below and I will be in touch.
I know that this may not make much of a difference but I want Ayla to be remembered this holiday season. This is the best way I can think of. So this is the plan. I am so excited to see how it plays out! :)
Again thank you for the love and support my family and I have received over the past year and a half. I will be eternally grateful to everyone for their kindness.

Count Zefyra and I in for a stocking. I will have to do the shopping on the 13th of Dec. But I can deliver it directly to your house. This is such an amazing and touching project. I'm amazed by your strength and kindness. I've wanted Zefyra and I to have a Christmas service project tradition and I can't think of a better first one than this. Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of this.
ReplyDeleteA truly inspiring read and most of all, an amazing and thoughtful idea. :)
ReplyDelete